Marci Campbell, PhD

Marci Campbell, PhD

Dr. Marci Campbell

Marci Campbell, PhD, professor of nutrition at the University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health, died Dec. 14 after living with cancer with grace and caring for almost two years.

She was a member of UNC’s Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center and program leader for cancer prevention and control at the Center, and member of the UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention.

Throughout her career, Dr. Campbell was committed to reducing risks for cancer, especially among low-income and minority populations. She was known for her work in developing innovative, research-tested interventions for an impressive number of health risks and conditions.

Dr. Campbell worked with a variety of organizations, among them, churches, community groups and voluntary health organizations. She had collaborators around the world. She focused particularly on nutrition behavior change for improving health and preventing diseases.

Here, we remember her legacy and invite you to do the same.

101 Comments

1. Barbara Rimer
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

In more than 20 years knowing Marci Campbell, I never ceased to be awed by her capacity for new ideas and creative approaches to an ever-increasing number of public health problems she tackled with unrelenting energy. She was one of the most committed, enthusiastic, energetic and innovative interventionists anywhere. Marci had enthusiastic collaborators around the world, in part, because of her infinite capacity for reaching out and wanting to solve cancer control and public health problems, wherever they occurred. Perhaps, though, her greatest and most profound contributions were as a result of the research she did with low-income North Carolinians. She was the kind of faculty member who showed communities that what we do here matters to them and makes their lives better. Her death is a tremendous loss for all of us and for the University as a whole.

2. Jo Anne Earp
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Marci received her PhD from HBHE and has been an active collaborator and researcher with a number of our faculty and students for many, many years. She mentored and supported many students over the years, and was an incredibly prolific researcher with a large grant portfolio. Beyond any titles, or degrees, however, Marci was a wonderful, warm, nurturing human being. I will miss her greatly — her laugh, her humor, her wisdom, her support.

3. Posted December 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Marci served as PI for the core research project at the Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention for over 20 years. Always an innovator and a champion for social justice, Marci worked with community partners to launch a non-profit microenterprise to generate revenue and jobs in low income communities. She studied the disproportional impact of a natural disaster on poor rural communities and secured funding to test the model of Individual Development Accounts that reward saving with matching funds to achieve “assets development” such as education, or launching a business. Marci formed strong bonds with community partners and traveled many miles on rural roads to attend meetings, celebrations, research-related trainings, and the annual Community Action Coalition Retreat. Marci’s many contributions to HPDP are deep and resilient and will continue to benefit and influence the extended HPDP community for many years to come.

4. Bahjat Qaqish
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

I worked with Marci on several project at the Lineberger Cancer Center. She was very thorough in her work, thought deeply about her research, and was a joy to work with. She will be missed.

5. Salli Benedict
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Those of us who had the privilege of working with Marci are among the most fortunate in our field. She was a brilliant and creative researcher, a risk-taker who relished opportunities to collaborate on innovative projects, and a public health advocate. Marci was devoted to her family and friends, and I am forever grateful for the twenty years I worked with Marci and was her friend, for the Health and HOPE Projects she was so passionate about, for the fun, the music and dancing, and our many long talks during car trips to eastern NC. She touched many lives and will be greatly missed.

6. mira katz
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

I am grateful for having Marci as a mentor during my post-doctoral fellowship at UNC’s Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. Marci’s passion and her innovative research contributions have significantly influenced my cancer prevention and control research. Marci’s death is a great loss reaching far beyond North Carolina.

7. Natasha Blakeney
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

I am a HBHE alum and I had the pleasure of getting to know Marci a number of years ago through a joint project with Ken Resnicow at the University of Michigan Cancer Center. She was thoughtful, kind, and I really admired her committment to the communities she served. What a great role model. She will definitely be missed.

8. Caroline Huffman
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

During my tenure at Lance Armstrong Foundation, I spent many, many hours collaborating with Marci…her ardent commitment and passion to survivorship not only transformed research, training and the delivery of care at UNC, but throughout the other LIVESTRONG Survivorship Centers of Excellence and beyond. Her contributions will be long lasting!!

Marci is someone who I had the greatest respect and affection for both personally and professionally…what a GREAT lady!!

9. Rachel Page
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Marci. What a remarkable woman. I have had the pleasure of working with Marci over the past several years. She devoted her work towards what truly interests me about public health– making a difference, one that is not only needed, but also wanted and embraced by the community. When I think of Marci I think of her compassion, her unyielding dedication and innovation. Marci played several critical roles in my life, my mentor, my advisor, my boss and my role model. I will forever miss her presence, her insights, and her unique ability to synthesize a zillion ideas into one comprehensive and holistic solution. I can only hope that I will carry on a piece of her hope, commitment, resourcefulness, versatility and and ability to laugh… in both my work and throughout my life.

10. Karen Glanz
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

I first met Marci when she was a graduate student at UNC in the 1980′s. She became a friend, colleague, and remarkable leader in nutrition, cancer control, and public health. Her passion and creativity – and phenomenal productivity – have touched the lives of many students and mentees, colleagues, communities, and patients. And the will continue to make a difference for years to come.

11. Bonnie Yankaskas
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I always had the greatest respect for Marci. She accomplished so much and always with grace, wit and a warm collaborative approach. Her death is a great loss to everyone. My condolences to her family and close colleagues.

12. Jack Page
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 5:53 am | Permalink

Her smile. Her heart. Her generosity. Her compassion and drive to understand, listen and think before actions or words. I can only hope some of her good will live on in me thanks to her teaching. Peace to you.

13. Andy Olshan
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Outstanding researcher and collaborator. Most importantly, a truly exceptional person in all ways that matter.

14. June Stevens
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Marci was a major force in the Department of Nutrition, and she loved, protected and supported the Department. She taught “Dietary Change Interventions” for over a decade, and through her teaching and sage advice she made a big difference in the lives of our students. Her strong creative spirit was easily apparent and always present, but she was also shrewd and often it was Marci that would speak up at faculty meetings to note practical and financial interests of the Department that others might have overlooked.
    My own favorite memory of Marci was our time together in Amsterdam when we attended a scientific meeting there. I stayed in a small hotel on a canal, and my room had a set of windows that folded back to be completely open to the air. There was a window seat in front of them so that two people could sit facing each other at either end and look down on the boats, bicycles, trees and people. It was so lovely, Marci and I sat there for over an hour as the sun set talking about our families, our travels, our research and how much we enjoyed our work. I will always treasure that time with her.

15. Barbara Alvarez Martin
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Marci and others hired me just a year ago to manage a new Lineberger project that was her brain-child, called Health-e-NC. Though our offices were right next door to each other, the connection I felt with her was much more personal than professional… bonded by our shared experience with cancer. She was such an inspiration to me – someone who in the face of such a dreadful disease could remain steadfastly focused on helping others so they would never have to walk the path that she herself was now on. Few in life are tested in that way, and she showed just how to fight back: with passion and unwavering commitment. What a strong, remarkable lady.

16. John Rose
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

I always admired Marci for her intellect and excellent public health work, her commitment to rectifying health and social disparities, and her grace and humility. Her passing is a true loss, but she leaves a valuable legacy in her scientific contributions to public health and all the excellent people that she mentored and inspired over the years.

17. Benjamin Calvo
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 10:11 am | Permalink

It is a great privilege to be a physician, in large part because each day we are afforded the opportunity to learn from our patients. Marci’s last months were living lectures on hope, humor, grace and relentless desire to be a positive force.

18. Alexis Williams
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

I was privileged to work closely with Marci for a number of years on the translation of Black Churches United for Better health into the Body & Soul program. I was always impressed by her sensitivity to the needs of the community, her collaborative spirit and her generosity. She cared about the work she was doing and the people and communities impacted by her efforts. She seemed to mentor everyone around her and I feel fortunate to be among the many colleagues and students she touched with her caring spirit. I know she will be truly missed.

19. Celette Sugg Skinner
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Marci was my friend for 25 years. Before we were colleagues and collaborators, we were friends, neighbors and fellow students. We often carpooled from Durham to class in Chapel Hill and chatted at the Trinity Park while our kids were busying themselves with the playground equipment. She helped me learn how to balance the roles of Mom and student and, later, professor. Her passion for family, community, and students never waned and her rather amamazing giftnedness has produced lasting benefits for the health of the public.

20. Linda Ko
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Marci was my predoctoral and postdoctoral mentor at UNC. During my time under her wings, I saw a passionate researcher and a person who dearly loved her family. She instilled this passion and love on me. When the two worlds seem chaotic, I always stop and ask “what would Marci have done?” She was an amazing, innovative, and versatile researcher, but what touched me more was her genuineness and sensitivity with the realities of health disparities in America. I have seen her wrestle with the idea of not been able to do more to tackle poverty with our interventions. Marci has pollinated these high standards to those who knew her, and her legacy and passion for eliminating health disparities will continue…

21. Jean Breny
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

i worked for Marci when I was a HBHE PhD student in the late 1990s. She was running what was then called, the CHAI Core and we had so much fun setting it up and providing TA for faculty and students in the school. I remember her as being so smart, nice, and fun! She was just really full of life and love and she will be missed.

22. Brie Turner-McGrievy
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Marci was my doctoral advisor during my time at UNC. I chose to work with Marci because of her exciting and innovative work. She was instrumental in refining and shaping my career as a nutrition researcher. She was not only an amazing academic advisor but she was also a compassionate mentor and friend. When I was put on hospital bedrest while pregnant during an important phase of my dissertation research, Marci came to visit me. Her visit was so important as she provided wonderful guidance about balancing work life and family life. I will fondly remember lunches we would have at conference meetings where her current and past students all met to discuss their work together. She touched so many lives and her work will go on through so many of us out there who were shaped by her amazing influence.

23. Shelley Earp
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

For her colleagues at UNC, Marci Campbell exemplified the term “engaged scholar”. She showed throughout her career that you can listen to and care for the less fortunate in our state, that you can rely on their observations about what needs to change, design research to address the community’s concerns, and then convince the most rigorous peer reviewers that the question deserved answering and the grant deserved funding.

Marci moved fluidly among seemingly disparate fields from primary cancer prevention to quality of life for cancer survivors, from diet and obesity issues to alleviating poverty. She consulted with those at risk and applied sophisticated intervention and evaluation models. She led a large team of students and staff who worked hard because they both respected and adored her.

Marci never failed to look out for others. This, combined with her grace, selflessness, personal warmth, and humor enhanced, rather than detracted from, her national and international success and reputation as a scholar. Her wonderful husband and children meant so much to her and were her constant companions and support during her life and illness. We will all miss Marci as an outstanding colleague and contributor to our field, and as a quality human being and a friend.

24. Victor Strecher
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Marci was a truly wonderful person who cared as much about the public’s health as anyone I know. She combined this concern with an interest in reaching the public with deeply-tailored health behavior programs. Her work influenced researchers and practitioners alike and reached many millions of individuals in need of dietary change. This is not hyperbole. I’ve seen her work embedded in web-based programs used throughout the world.

She was one of the really cool people in public health and I am grateful for having known and worked with her.

25. Rachel Urban
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Marci, I remember our walks on Atlantic Beach during the CAC retreats…talks about food, your children and how a good team can change the world…
    You were a TRUE GIFT to our beautiful state. Please know how much we love you. Your spirit lives on.

26. Lisa Quintiliani
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Marci was my doctoral advisor while I was at UNC. During this time, and since then, she has shown me wonderful academic and personal support. Watching her example in community-based meetings in eastern NC was inspirational. My fondest memory is Marci visiting me in my new office on my anxious first day of my new post-doc in Boston. Seeing Marci was like seeing an old friend, at once I was put-at-ease and her confidence helped me believe that I could really do this. I echo her other students and colleagues in that her work will go on through those who were shaped by her tremendous influence.

27. Aimee James
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Marci was my mentor during my post-doc and has remained so ever since. She was one who led by example, provided excellent advice and feedback. I remember most her humor, smile, her passion for promoting justice and health, and her love of her family. She really touched so many lives.

28. Imani Rivera
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful privilege to have worked with Marci for the past several years on the HOPE projects. I learned so much under her leadership; her passion was infectious! I’ll never forget our chats at the retreats, the dancing, the love, and the “magic.”

29. Beth Hooten
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Like many others, I consider Marci a mentor and friend and cherish the shared experience of working with her. Through a variety of projects and opportunities, she always brought a large measure of graceful calm coupled with a determined creativity to leverage resources for measurable good in the public’s health and well-being.

No one may say Marci did not care — for the people of North Carolina, for her friends and colleagues, and most importantly, for her family. One did not know Marci without knowing of her great love for them.  I offer sincere condolences to Tom and her family. 

We shall all miss her greatly, and in ways we have yet to even conceive. But as Khalil Gibran observed, “When you are sorrowful, look again into your heart and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” Knowing Marci was a privilege and a delight. 

30. Colleen Doyle
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

What heart-breaking news. I worked with Marci on the creation of the Body & Soul program, and can still remember that first day we met in person to discuss the possibilities. I was struck by her knowledge and experience, but it has been her passion for finding effective ways to help people live healthier lives that has stuck with me for all these years. She will truly be missed.

31. Ron Myers
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Moments shared with Marci remain in my memory as cherished time engaged with someone who cared, listened, and responded with sincerity, clarity, and warmth. She is and will be missed.

32. Posted December 15, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

It is with great saddness that I write this tribute to Marci Campbell. Through her work to lead the LIVESTRONG Survivorship Center of Excellence at UNC Chapel Hill, she demonstrated not only her intellectual prowess, but also her supremely caring spirit to help those affected by cancer live their best life. She continued this work, this time leading by example, after she herself was diagnosed. I will always hold Marci’s example as a reminder of the grace and commitment we should all aspire to. She will be missed greatly by her friends in Austin, TX and throught the LIVESTRONG Survivorship Centers of Exellence Network. It was our priviledge to have worked with her.

33. Lucia Leone
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Marci has been my mentor for the last 6+ years that I have been at UNC. I was shocked to hear of her passing as I had no idea how sick she was. Marci was so selfless that she didn’t want to burden others with worrying about her. Even in her last days she was focused on making sure that all people that she takes care of would be okay. Without Marci I would not be where I am today in my career. She pointed me in the right direction without making me feel any pressure to go there. She was more dedicated to making a difference than making a name for herself and taught me that being successful isn’t about how many papers I publish or hours I work, but about how much of an impact my work has. Thank you for everything Marci!

34. Dave Vanata
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

I was saddened to hear the news about Marci. I would not be the person I am today without knowing, interacting, and being directly influenced by her. She has touched the lives of many, shaping those that she encountered. Although she is gone, her legacy, by those she has mentored, taught, influenced, and loved, will continue. Thank you Marci, you will be missed by many.

35. Sarah Alligood Chang
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Marci was one of my favorite professors at UNC. She was such an inspiration to me, and her words and lessons have stuck with me for many years. I am so deeply saddened to hear of her passing. She touched so many lives, including mine. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. She will always be remembered.

36. Shannon Williams
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Marci has such a sweet spirit about her! I consider it a great honor to have had our paths cross, and I am a better person for having known her and serving under her in the HOPE projects! Marci, thanks for your help and tender care with Dominic during his first CAC retreat, he wore that aquarium shirt out! You are loved!

37. Posted December 15, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Marci was junior faculty while I was getting my PhD and we worked together on several projects. She was a wonderful collaborator and kindred spirit, eager to push the envelope of technology and creativity. I am in her debt for several of my early publications and for supporting my work during my PhD studies. May her memory be a blessing to those who knew her.

38. Beth Widen
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Though I never worked directly with Marci, I have many distinct memories of her during my time at UNC. Marci was diagnosed when I was taking her dietary change interventions class, before this happened I had many conversations with her about being a dietitian, remembering to do our CEUs and research. The last time I saw her, she told me to keep on doing what I’m doing and had a bright smile on her face. We will miss her dearly.

39. Sheila Fleischhacker
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Marci showed incredible grace during her battle against cancer. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family she was so proud of.

40. Darren D
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 1:35 am | Permalink

Shocked and saddened by this news. Many friends were mentored by Marci; my thoughts are with you guys.

41. Willemieke Kroeze
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 5:05 am | Permalink

Marci Campbell was a great example to me. The way she balanced work and private life was an inspiration. She worked with enthousiasm and our contacts always had a personal touch as well. Although we did not meet frequently, it was always like meeting an old friend or mentor. It was an honour to have her as my promotor for my PhD project. I will always remember her.

42. Monal Shroff
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 7:03 am | Permalink

I took Marci’s class during my PhD training at UNC and I will never forget the passion and grace she brought to teaching and research. She will be missed dearly. A big loss to the behavior change intervention world.

43. Arnold Kaluzny
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 8:56 am | Permalink

I did not have the privilege to work or collaborate with Marci on her many projects but I was privileged to witness her many contributions to the LCCC, the School and the work of the NCI. Marci was truly dedicated to cancer prevention and control …and would contribute in any way shape or form to further advance the field and benefit the people we serve. There are many examples but the one that I vividly recall is that in the spring of 1999 the LCCC was scheduled for a NCI site visit for continuation of the LCCC as a NCI designated comprehensive cancer center. This as we all know is a big deal. I was involved with much of the prep work for the cancer control component of the review and presentation. Midway through that process and shortly prior to the site visit I encountered some fairly serious medical problems and at the last minute … Marci was invited to make the presentation… and as they say … the rest is history.
    The program and presentation was very well received , the cancer control program was funded and the LCCC continued as a NCI designated comprehensive cancer center. Marci was appoint the Director of the LCCC Cancer Control Program and under Marci’s leadership the program went on to achieve national recognition and a sustained contribution to the state of NC. There are many other examples of her extraordinary commitment and outstanding abilities all of which provide a lasting benchmark for our own work and life. We have lost a person of great talent and a kind and gracious colleague.
    ……….ak

44. Jane Brown
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 9:38 am | Permalink

I will remember my friend and colleague of 20 years as a model of what it is to be a great woman in academia — Marci did it all with intelligence, grace and charm. She built programs that made a difference while caring for her students and colleagues. I consider it an honor to have known her, to have collaborated on the creation of our Interdisciplinary Health Communication program, to have guest lectured in her classes, to have shared students. I will miss her presence and foresight.

45. Joan Cates
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

One of my most favorite canvas carry-all bags was made by women in Marci’s HOPE project. The circles of green and yellow figures dance intertwined across the bag with indeed hope and connectedness. I’m glad I have it to remember all she stood for.

46. Bill Kalsbeek
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Many of us at the Survey Research Unit worked with Marci on two rounds of her five-a-day research grant with USDA several years ago. She was wonderfully astute as a colleague and always pleasant as a person. It was clearly apparent to me that she was a one of those researchers who deeply cares about the things we learned from the research she did. She will be missed by all of us who were touched by her in that way.

47. India Ornelas
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

I knew Marci as a doctoral student in HBHE. I was always inspired by her innovative research that engaged communities to address social determinants of health. In addition to being an excellent scientist, she had a fun, warm, generous spirit. I feel lucky to have known her.

48. Antonio Tovar
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

The National Community Committee has lost a great supporter of our cause. However, she has leave us a great responsibility to fulfill. Thank you Marci for believe on us and show us the pat to real community-campus partnership. We will follow your lead!

49. Posted December 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

As a community-based partner with the ECHO program and a relative new comer to health initiatives in North Carolina (since 2007), the entire Black Men’s Health Initiative organization wants to send our condolences to Marci’s family. She was viewed by us as one of the people who “really got it” from the community perspective, understanding the power of community to do for self based on her years of in-community experience. She will be missed, but also honored in the community, as she was a tireless advocate for what we represent. Marci…may you rest in peace! Your legacy is intact! Assante` Sana! (“Thank You” -Swahili)

50. Jill Reedy
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

I was very fortunate to work with Marci when I was a doctoral student at UNC from 1999 to 2003. She was an inspiring and generous mentor, a thoughtful researcher and activist, and a role model for Mama PhD’s everywhere. Thank you, Marci.

51. Mike Newton-Ward
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I just heard about Marcie, and I am sad and mad. I had worked with her classes for eight years, at least. She was a lovely person to work with. She gave off “good vibes,” as people used to say, and she had an inquiring and synthesizing mind. When I spoke to her class last spring, she talked with me about how happy she was to be teaching again and about the preciousness of life. I am sure I am better for having known Marcie. I am going to miss her A WHOLE LOT!

52. Sharon Brown-Singleton
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

The memory of Marci’s vibrant spirit will never be forgotten. Almost 13 years of working along site Marci makes it a true blessing for me. We will truely miss you and the “magic” you shared with all of us on the CAC!

53. Tina Shaban
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Marci had a great respect for people from all walks of life. She believed in everyone’s contribution to the success of a project. I was always humbled that she would take the time to share her knowledge or ideas with me if I asked for her input for a Resource Center program. She was so accomplished, yet she made the time to offer her valued input or she would ask me if she could help in a certain way. Marci made a difference in many people’s lives. I know I will continue to work harder to reach our underserved and I will do it in Marci’s honor.

54. Addie Hall
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Marci had a certain calmness and kindness about her.
    She had a very sweet spirit and showed a concern for
    all whom she came in contact with. Her approach to
    people made them feel welcomed to speak out or share
    their opinion. Marci had a vision and I hope her vision
    will continue. She will hold a special place in my heart.
    I will always remember her smile and curly hair. I send
    my condolences to her family.

Love, Addie Hall

55. Linda Malkas
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I had the opportunity to work with Marci a number of times on the NCI Subcommittee A panel. She was a very talented researcher and an exceptionally gracious person as well. I learned so many things from her. She will be missed.

56. Christine Rini
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Earlier this year, within hours of having received bad news about her heatlh, Marci invited me to join her and one of her former students for lunch at a conference. She spent the time encouraging us, providing advice, and talking enthusiastically about ideas and directions for research. She was truly one of the most warm and generous people I’ve met. I am so sorry we didn’t get to spend more time together, and that we never had a chance to work together. I know I am only one of many, many people who will foreover feel that way.

57. Tania Connaughton-Espino
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I met Marci ten years ago as a new MPH student. She was part of a research team with Dr. Buekens in MCH and she was advising the project regarding the use of qualitative methods. I was impressed by her energy and motivation to find a good way to integrate qualitative methods into a project that so far had focused on quantitative approaches. I am saddened to hear about this news. She will be missed!

58. La Verne Reid
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Marci’s NCCU family is saddened to hear the news of her passing. We will cherish her memory and pledge to continue her service and dedication to underserved populations

59. Diane Beth
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

I had the priviledge to work with Marci, in some of the post-Black Churches United for Better Health dissemination work with ACS, NCI and with the NC Advisory Committee on Cancer Control and Coordination. As others have noted I appreciated Marci’s creativity and tenacity. My thoughts are with her family and the colleagues who worked with her so closely.

60. Pamela Gonzalez
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

After reading all of the great things she worked on during her career I was hard pressed to come up with any fancy words to describe what Marcie meant to me and Sampson County. She may have been all of these great things in our world, but to us she more importantly marketed her gift of love. Marcie was LOVE…..plain and simple….short and to the point….with grace, poise, and never ending soft spoken unconditional LOVE. She traveled this life bringing HOPE and LOVE to the desolate areas and people in our state. With her LOVE she bridged gaps between the rural underserved populations of our communities and the technical professionals of our Universities. This to me was her greatest accomplishment….her gift of LOVE…..
    We will always love you Marcie and all that you represent…….I’m sure you’re somewhere special teaching others how to share your gift of LOVE…..

61. Tony V. Locklear
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

I had the privilege to know Marci briefly, however, I’m assured she departed this life willingly, joyfully, and secure in the knowledge that she had done her best because for many years to come, her work will live on!Blessings to the family and those bereaved in this time of sadness.

62. Seth Noar
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

I first met Marci several years ago at a conference. We chatted during a break and from that point forward I felt a connection to her. We kept in touch through the years and would see each other occasionally at academic events. Each time it felt like seeing an old friend. In addition to being an amazing scholar, she was just a wonderful, vibrant, caring person – one of a kind. We had both really looked forward to working together now that I’ve joined UNC. My condolences to her family, friends, and the entire academic community, as this is a tremendous loss for all of us.

63. Carol Reuss, PhD
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Here life, so compressed, reminds me to try to emulate her and spread her goodness and to use my energies for others. Real teaching is not confined to books, papers and scheduled lectures and Marci exemplified this. My condolences to all who knew her and now miss herl

64. Carol Reuss, PhD
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 6:52 am | Permalink

Please excuse the typos in my message. Old hands so surprising things on the keyboard!

65. Jan Dodds
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

The essence of Marci is smooth jazz– creatively moving, intellectually meandering where the process means more than the end. As I remember her gentle compassion my heart clutches in a sob. There are two fond memories. Through Steve Zeisel’s mentoring, we were among the first 5 a day intervention projects in the 90′s. Our small project staff met weekly in a little house on Airport Road, neophytes in this new venture to make a difference. We did what we knew best to do as trained, whole people. We were collaborating for the first time with State Health as fiscal agent, State Extension, Duke Cancer Center, and our Department. Through endless listening by Marci at any time of day or night, we formed an intrepid team visiting Black churches across Eastern North Carolina. What a miracle it was!
    Clustered on the fourth floor of McGavran-Greenberg we were a small, determined group of faculty and students who diligently invested our whole selves to make a difference. With relaxed body language, smiles, and relief, Marci and I used to have snatched conversations about family, music, students, vacations, research, teaching, the world and ideas. It was the stuff that kept us all going day and night.
    UNC was lucky to be graced with Marci Campbell. Thanks to her family for graciously sharing her with us. Peace, Marci.

66. Jon Kerner
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Marci was a rare person who combined a sharp and open mind with a warm and open heart. It seems quite fitting that her last first author publication listed on Pub Med was entitled “Cancer is a team sport,” Campbell MK. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2011 Aug;15(4):349. We have lost a great leader and wonderful teammate in our collective effort to control cancer. Marci’s legacy will live on through the knowledge that she shared and the lives that she touched. As one who benfitted from both her knowledge and her collegiality, I will miss her but will not forget her. Rest in peace, Marci.

67. Walter L. Shepherd
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Elegant. Brilliant. Compassionate. Charming. Challenging. Prolific. Passionate. Those and many other extraordinary qualities are part of the legacy that Marci left me as memories of her touch and influence. I feel truly blessed that I was able to know her as a colleague and as an admirer of her professional talents, but I feel slighted that I did not have an opportunity to know her as a close friend. For those of you who did, I am envious. To her family, thank you for sharing her with her. For the many people impacted by cancer (and who were spared because of her), a large debt of gratitude is owed due to her many contributions. I hope that we may take what she has taught us and apply it to the benefit of others. Thank you, Marci.

68. Sally Herndon
    Posted December 18, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I had the pleasure of working with Marci as she chaired the Prevention Committee of the Advisory Committee on Cancer Coordination and Control for a number of very productive years. She led gracefully – with her head and her heart. North Carolina is all the better for her kindess, compassion, and strong adherance to evidence based cancer research and practice. I am so very saddened to hear of her passing. She and Tom moved into town to a house down the street from me awhile back, and she has been so very strong through her illness. We will all miss Marci very much, and our heartfelt condolences go out to Tom and the entire family.

69. brenda devellis
    Posted December 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I had the honor and pleasure of serving as Marci’s dissertation chair from 1991-92. She was a wonderful researcher, great thinker, and terrific writer. In this endeavor, as in all others over the next 20 years, Marci carried out very demanding work with grace and apparent ease. Marci had three beloved young children during these early years and never, ever put them 2nd. Marci’s wonderful and supportive husband, Tom was, and remained, a true partner, soul mate, and best friend. Her children, Tom, and her parents always came first.

I continued to work, in a small role, with Marci over the years in the innovative projects she led with Salli Benedict, Kristine Kelsey, and Irene Tessaro. The extensive list of publications on Marci’s CV speaks to her scholarly excellence and accomplishments but her CV does not show the kindness, inclusiveness, and generosity with which she approached her work, her relationships, and her life.

I will miss her forever.

70. Bob DeVellis
    Posted December 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I knew Marci in many capacities — as a student, a colleague, a fellow music enthusiast — but mostly as a loving, generous person with a striking intellect. I remember not only her brilliant insights and commitment to intellectual excellence, but her easy smile and warm laugh. She was always fun to be with. I’m deeply saddened by her death. She was one of a kind and will be greatly missed.

71. Rena Pasick
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

We have a lost an extraordinary pioneer and role model. Her inspirational work will live on and on.

72. Margaret Farrell
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Marci’s heart and her intellect were broad enough to welcome all – from nervous graduate students, to new professionals, to community leaders, to fellow researchers and practitioners. Marci believed in herself, in you and in the importance of the work set before us. She loved her husband and the partnership they had, she was so proud of her children and she excelled at every aspect of her life – and yet made time to share in your joys as well. I am grateful to have known her.

73. Darlene Leysath
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Dr. Marci Campbell made a difference and impact to us here in Duplin and Sampson Counties. Throughout her life journey she gave of herself in the spirit of laughter, joy and hope. Her legacy will live on forever. The results of her work as a reseacher locally and around the United States will continue to have an impact on the future generations….I will cherish our walks on the beach at our annual retreats and fun times of dancing and sharing family stories……Her legacy lives on and on……
    She brought hope, opportunties, partnerships and empowerment and lots of energy to our communities.

74. Sally Stearns
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I learned a tremendous amount from Marci during a project I worked on with her while I was a junior faculty member. Her intelligence, insights, openness, and balanced perspectives were real inspirations for me. This long list of accolades from dozens of colleagues helps document her many strengths and contributions, and I know she will be hugely missed.

75. Pat Andrews
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Marci was a year or two ahead of me in the Nutrition program, and though our paths didn’t cross as much as I would have hoped, the few times I did it was clear how loving and selflessly she worked and connected with people. I’m so sad to hear she has passed from our midst, and am thankful for her beautiful work in this world…a true gift to many and an inspiration to all…

76. Penny Gordon-Larsen
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 5:45 am | Permalink

It was an honor and a privilege to know Marci as a colleague and a friend. She was an inspiration to so many. Her dedication to students, to science, to innovation and to making a difference inspired us all. I will miss her immensely…

77. Stephanie Schuler
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 7:50 am | Permalink

I had the pleasure of working alongside Marci on the HOPE projects in 2010. From day one she was an inspiration as her passion for her work and for the well-being of others radiated from every word she spoke. Her memory and impact she had on everyone’s lives around her will never fade. Thank you for everything you did Marci, you were an amazing women and everyone loved you.

78. Posted December 20, 2011 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Today we have received the news that Marcy passed away. We will remember her as a nice colleague and are greatful for her advice on our Vitalum project.
    On behalf of the Vitalum team (the Netherlands)

79. Laura Linnan
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Marci was one of the very first to welcome me to UNC as a new colleague and fast friend more than 12 years ago. Our first “meeting” was a picnic gathering at her house with her parents, Tom, and three children. She cherished her role as mom, wife and daughter more than anything. Much more than a fantastic researcher, Marci was a kind, fun and passionate person who lived life fully, blessed those who worked and learned from her, and made a difference in the health and lives of many locally, throughout the state, and far beyond. We will miss you dearly marci and hope you and your loved ones rest assured that your work and your legacy will live on.

80. La-Shell Johnson
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I worked with Marci on several projects over the last 6 years. She has always been there to listen or to give words of wisdom. She has helped me through some difficult times in my academic career and she provided me with an opportunity to share my passion for research through her work. She had a heart of gold that could never be replaced. Her beautiful smile which lit up a room will never be forgotten, and her work will continue to live on in the many lives of the people she touched, including mine. We will truly miss you Marci.

81. Denise Spector
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Like so many, I was profoundly saddened to hear of Marci’s death. I had the privilege of first meeting Marci when I took her “Dietary Change Interventions” course over 10 years ago. Because of her exceptional teaching style, what I learned from her class still resonates with me to this day. Marci truly was such a gifted and creative teacher and researcher, but mostly she was a lovely and caring mother, wife, daughter, friend and colleague.

My fondest memory of Marci was at a conference in D.C. 2 years ago. I attended her presentation on tailored and targeted behavioral interventions and I was so touched when she showed a slide of her daughter in a dress she had ‘tailored’ for her to wear to a special dance. It was a beautiful image of a mother’s love for her child. At that same conference I was fortunate to meet Marci’s parents, whom she brought up to D.C. with her for a visit. From talking with her parents it was evident how proud they were of their remarkable daughter.

During this season of celebrating Hanukkah, known as the Festival of Lights, I am reminded of the radiant light you have shone. Your light will live on through all the lives you have touched. Thank you Marci for shining your light into my life. I will light my candle this evening in your honor and memory.

82. Hein de Vries
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Marci was a very stimulating person, had an open mind and was eager to listen to other person’s ideas. It was wonderful to collaborate with her. A couple of months ago we emailed together about setting up a symposium for the World Congress in Canada. She was a very warm person and a wonderful colleague. I cannot comprehend that she will not be with us any more. I will miss her dearly.

83. Cheryl Giscombe
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Marci was very kind and gracious to me while I was a postdoctoral fellow at UNC. She was always very warm and supportive. I admired her work in the community and her dedication to inclusiveness, academia, and the concept of balancing work and family. She has planted many seeds that will continue to blossom. Marci will truly be missed, but her light shines on.

84. Leigh (belton) Romagnoli
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

It was with great sadness that I received this news, but also a time of inspirational reflection. I feel so very fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn and grow from an amazing teacher, friend, neighbor, and share time and space with such an incredible woman with such an amazing mind. I wont list your accomplishments as they all speak on their own. Big hugs to Tom, Euwin (sp?!), Lee, and Amy. love, Leigh

85. Lisa Sutherland
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

I am so saddened by Marci’s untimely death. Like many, I chose to work with Marci for her spirit, innovation, creativity and love for the community. Marci was an amazing mentor to me, but perhaps more importantly she was the role model that has had the most profound impact on my career and motherhood. Marci taught me that family and our kids always come first, right down to the playpen that she brought in to my office so my daughter could be with me when she was very young. Marci’s love for her children, family and the public health community are a treasure that I am blessed to have experienced. With much love to Tom, Ewin, Lee and Amy – Lisa

86. Amy Campbell
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I’d like to share the slideshow that we showed at my mom’s memorial service on Tuesday, for any who have not seen it. Just a few snapshots from a life full of happiness :-)
    http://vimeo.com/34027384

Thanks to all who have posted and continue to keep both her and our family in their thoughts.
    -Amy

ps- my brother’s name is Ewan.

87. Debra Krummel
    Posted December 26, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Amy, thanks for sharing the slideshow. You captured beautifully your mother’s spirit. I knew your mom as a colleague for many years, but also we shared many family stories over the years. My prayers and sympathy are with you and your family.

88. Jackie Ariail
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Dear Amy, My thanks too for sharing the slideshow online. I had had no idea that your Mom was ill, and so hearing of her death just yesterday from Hannah, who knew from Susan and Dan Barco, was a total shock. I am so so sorry to hear of her untimely passing. My thoughts and condolences to you, and your Dad and brothers, and your extended family and friends. Although we didn’t know each other well, it was always a delight to run into your Mom–she was always eager to share a few words, always spirited and positive, and thus always an inspiration even in a little on the street exchange.

89. Al Marcus
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

The news of Marci’s passing hit me especially hard. We were of the same generation and our research careers paralleled one another almost from the very beginning. She was a marvelous behavioral scientist whose committment to excellence, and particularly to underserved populations, was second to none. This will cleary be one of her most enduring legacies. Our relationship spanned over two decades and we quickly became close friends and confidants. I will always remember the many conversations we had about our families and children, and the joys of parenting. We could go six months without seeing one another, and then pick up our conversation in mid-sentence as if we had seen each other only yesterday. What a beautifiul photograph of Marci, capturing her grace and brilliant smile. From this day forward, this is how I will always remember Marci.

90. Abby King
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Marci was a ‘shining light’ in behavioral medicine and I share people’s shock and grief in hearing of her passing. Her passion for scientific inquiry and integrity were unparalleled, and although our paths did not cross often, I always found her to be compassionate and supportive of others–a true role model who will be greatly missed.

91. Sara Wilcox
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I was so sorry to hear about Marci’s passing. Marci was a consultant on my faith-based project. I still remember emailing her to be on the grant (thinking she was probably going to say she was too busy and it was a long-shot) and being so excited when she agreed. She took the time to travel to SC to one of our early planning meetings, and was so well-received by all. Her work has been an inspiration to me and her insights and recommendations made a difference in my project and in my work. She will be greatly missed.

92. Posted January 17, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Marci was a class act in every way. Thank you for sharing the vimeo; it was wonderful to remember Marci in so many ways. I was a fellow student with Marci in the Masters of Public Health Program. My memories are of a real scholar with heart of gold and of her becoming a new mother.
    I have followed her career and good works through the Carolina Public Health Magazine. Words are not enough, I do not have the right words to express my sorrow. I do know that this world is a better place for Marci. Thank you for sharing.

93. Carolyn Hartz Barrett
    Posted January 18, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

I was shocked to learn of Marci’s passing yesterday. I met Marci in 1978 when she became the first post master’s fellow in nutrition at the Division for Disorders of Development and Learning (the DDDL) at UNC. When she decided to persue doctoral studies, we had many discussions about whether she should continue to study nutrition or branch out into health behavior-health education. I pointed out that she could always incorporate nutrition into her health behavior studies. Later we both became faculty in the Nutrition Department so I was able to keep up with her career and what a career she has had. I will miss her. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures in the video.

94. Elena Carbone
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

I just learned the sad news of Marci’s passing. I was her first doctoral student at UNC. Many of my research and writing skills are a direct result of her patient guidance and mentoring. Taking her dietary change intervention class and later teaching it as a post-doctoral student provided me with a real understanding and love for the field.

Since graduating, Marci and I have kept in touch. I was so proud when she took on one of my first masters students as one of her doctoral students. We kept running into each other at meetings over the years — in DC, Baltimore, and even Portugal. Each time we shared memories and enjoyed catching up.

Marci has taught so many so much. I feel fortunate to have had her in my life as a teacher, a colleague, and a friend. She will be greatly missed.

95. Rebekah Salt
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

I just found out about Marci’s passing. I met her in 2010 when I traveled to UNC from the University of New Mexico to discuss the HOPE projects and my K-23 (she had graciously agreed to take the role of mentor-an act of kind generosity which still amazes me to this day). I felt an instant connection with her and left UNC feeling like I’d hit the mentor jackpot! How blessed I was to have known her even for that short time. My heartfelt condolences go out to her family, friends, and colleagues.

96. Robyn Levine
    Posted February 5, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

I am so saddened to hear about Marci’s passing. Although I didn’t know her very well on a personal level, I had the privilege to work on her HOPE Accounts project for a little while. I remember how she didn’t hesitate to dance at the community celebration in eastern NC where I first met her, and later being grateful for her support as I worked on my first research project. I feel honored to have known her, and I hope that her friends, family, and co-workers can find some comfort in this difficult time.

97. Jennifer Bretsch
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I only met Marci once — last fall during the LiveSTRONG Essential Elements meeting. It was at that gathering that 150 leaders in cancer survivorship met to lend their expertise and voice to build consensus on the long-term care that cancer survivors should receive. Marci and I shared our personal journeys related to cancer and I instantly felt I met a kindred spirit. She was so warm and encouraging, particularly as I shared my desire to pursue a doctoral degree. She even tried to recruit me to UNC! I recently returned from the Society of Behavioral Medicine annual meeting and I’m sure her presence was missed. Yet, take comfort that continues to shape health behaviors through the many students and researchers she has mentored over the years. My heartfelt condolences go out to all that knew Marci and miss her.

98. Posted August 26, 2014 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Today, while I wass at work, my sister stole myy apple ipad and tested to see iff it can survive a 25 foot drop, just so she can be
    a youtube sensation. My apple ipad iis now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it wih someone!

99. Posted August 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
    I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read ore of your useful information. Thanks for thhe post.
    I’ll certainly comeback.

100. Posted September 3, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

I do accept as true with all of the concepts you have offered for your post.
    They’re really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the
    posts are too brief for novices. Could you please
    extend them a bit from next time?Thank yoou for the post.

101. Posted October 7, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

They are a very good way to promote business service. A VPN creates an encrypted connection to a
    third-party server, and all your Internet traffic is routed through that server.

Daily, even hourly, businesses can see how many individuals clicked on their ads and the
    traffic that is being driven to their website.

Post a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*